I was thinking back to the baby shower for my first born and remembering how much fun it was to have the people that love us and support us there to celebrate the impending birth of our son. Then I got to thinking about all the STUFF that we really didn't need that we got and of course all the stuff that I would have liked to have had. I couldn't help but think (yes, here comes the selfish part!) "there I was, growing this human being inside of me, doing all the work, forever changing my body and it was all about baby". And then the more I thought about it, it wasn't selfish. Growing a human being is hard work!!! So, even though the onsies, booties and bibs are all oh so cute, I would have liked to have some other things instead. Don't get me wrong! I totally appreciated ALL the gifts we received, but we would have been just fine with a little less for baby and a little more for me. :-) I believe that moms need to be nurtured too.
Here's my list of gifts for Mama:
1. Gift certificate for a manicure & pedicure
2. Gift certificate for a prenatal massage
3. Gift certificate to a hair salon
4. Gift certificate for house cleaning
5. Movie tickets and a gift certificate to her favorite restaurant
6. Meals, meals and more meals. Ones that can be frozen. Stock that freezer for her! (don't forget to take into account any allergies or sensitivities)
7. A basket full of her favorite body scrub, lotion, shampoo, perfume, etc…
8. A Netflix subscription for something to do in the wee hours while nursing
9. A Kindle stocked with her favorite authors/books
10. Customized mama jewelry
11. Gift certificate for a spa day
12. And of course… a gift certificate for maternity and newborn photography sessions!